Five Easy Ways to Get Active
Memorial Day is a time for honoring those who have served our country, and it’s also a great opportunity to stay in shape. With the right motivation and creative workouts, you can make this holiday even more meaningful by getting active and taking care of your body.
Whether you’re an experienced athlete signed up for this year's Murph Challenge or just starting out on your fitness journey, these five methods of movement are perfect for any skill level. From bodyweight exercises to running, swimming, yoga, and HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), there’s something here that will get your heart rate up while also giving you an enjoyable workout experience. We'll provide tips on how to make each workout more effective so that you can reach your goals faster. So let's start moving this Memorial Day!
Bodyweight exercises are an excellent way to stay in shape and get creative with your workouts. They can be performed without additional equipment, or you can snatch up a Strencor Bodyweight Trainer at our store to apply extra resistance via gravity. Either route you choose, there are a few things you can do to make these exercises as effective as possible:
- First, make sure that you’re doing the exercises correctly. Proper form is essential for getting the most out of bodyweight exercises, as benefits can only be maximized when you're doing your best to prevent injury.
- Second, focus on challenging yourself with variations in intensity and duration. Even though you won't have equipment to grasp, its important to keep your head in the game to avoid wasting time. Trying different levels of difficulty can be a great way to keep things interesting and make sure that you’re always pushing yourself to do better.
- Finally, don’t forget to give yourself some rest days! Taking regular breaks allows your muscles to recover and helps you avoid burnout.
Running is a supremely accessible way to stay fit. Although a simple activity in itself, the way you go about it can be tailored to your needs and skill level. In order to make the most of your running workouts, here are some tips on form, speed, and distance:
- When it comes to form, focus on maintaining good posture with your head up and your abs tight. This will help you maintain an efficient stride and prevent against injury.
- For speed, start by running at a comfortable pace that allows for conversation but still gets your heart rate up. As you progress, try to increase the intensity by speeding up or running longer distances.
- Finally, when it comes to distance, don’t try to go too far too soon. Start with shorter distances and then gradually increase the length of your runs over time. By doing this, you’ll be able to build up your endurance while minimizing your risk of over-exertion or injury.
Swimming - safety tips for swimming outdoors
Swimming is a great way to stay fit and enjoy the outdoors. Memorial Day is the universal sign that neighborhood pools and swimming centers around the country are opening for the summer. Even though it can be easy to get caught up in the excitement of swimming, it’s important to take safety precautions. Here are some tips for staying safe while swimming outdoors:
- First, always make sure that you’re aware of your environment and the current conditions in the water. Be sure to check for any potential hazards and make sure that the area is free from debris or obstacles.
- Second, if you’re swimming in open bodies of water like lakes or rivers, be aware of the current and familiarize yourself with the local laws and regulations. Don't let an avoidable situation ruin your holiday weekend!
- Finally, wear a lifejacket at all times when swimming outdoors. This will help to keep you safe in the event of an emergency.
Yoga is an excellent way to get active while incorporating stretching and breathing techniques into your workouts. Doing so can provide numerous benefits, both physically and mentally. Through regular practice of yoga, you can increase flexibility, improve posture and balance, reduce stress levels, and help with mental clarity. Stretching is an important aspect of yoga, and it’s important to be mindful of your body’s limitations. Make sure to take breaks when needed and listen to your body while you stretch. Breathing techniques are also essential for yoga practice, so pay attention to your breathing pattern throughout the poses. If you're craving extra support for your yoga flow, we've got you covered on mats and more at our store!
HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training)
On the opposite side of the movement spectrum than Yoga, HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is a great way to get the most out of your workouts and keep things interesting. Creating your own HIIT workouts can be done both indoors and outdoors, meaning that you can easily fit a quick workout into your day no matter where you are.
To start, you can create your own HIIT circuit using bodyweight exercises. Choose four to six exercises and perform each move for 30 seconds, followed by a 10 second rest period. Once you’ve finished the circuit, take a one-minute break before repeating it two more times. You can also incorporate interval running into your workout by jogging for one minute, then sprinting for 30 seconds. Repeat this pattern for 10 minutes or as long as you can keep up with the intensity.
Memorial Day is a great opportunity to get creative with your workouts and stay in shape. Whether you’re running, swimming, doing bodyweight exercises or yoga, there are plenty of ways to make the most out of this day while still having fun. Make sure that you take safety precautions when working out outdoors and always listen to your body before pushing yourself too hard. Finally, don’t forget to set realistic goals for yourself and keep up a positive attitude throughout your fitness journey – it will help motivate you toward success!